With California renters behind on rent and at risk of eviction because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program will be a lifeline to renters and landlords. It helps to clear accumulated rental debt, keeps the hardest-hit families in their homes, and will lead to a more equitable economic recovery.
The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program was created by the COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act on January 29. Funding comes from the $2.6 billion in federal emergency rental assistance program to states and local jurisdictions.
Overview: Program supports housing stability for most vulnerable:
- CA COVID-19 Rent Relief provides financial assistance to income-qualified tenants experiencing housing instability.
- The program provides rent reimbursement to landlords for unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
- Landlords are eligible to receive 80% of unpaid rent, as long as they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent.
- Eligible tenants whose landlords don’t participate in the program can still receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
- Paying the 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021 can help keep you in your home under the extended eviction protections provided in SB91.
- Eligible tenants can also receive future rent assistance equal to 25% of their monthly rent.
- Verify eligibility and apply at HousingIsKey.com.
For more information on program eligibility, required application information, and to start the application process, visit HousingIsKey.com or call 833-430-2122.
Sierra HOPE is a local partner with the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program for Calaveras County. Calaveras County residents who need help completing the application can make an appointment to receive help through the State Call Center telephone line, or by contacting Sierra HOPE directly at 209-736-6792.